Workshops & Services
Healing Our Nations has a toll-free number that won’t cost you anything to call. It won’t show up on your phone bill nor will we know your number when you call us. It is anonymous.1-800-565-4255
Healing Our Nations provides FREE Interactive Culturally Relevant Education Sessions to all First Nation communities in Atlantic Canada on the following subjects:
- HIV/AIDS 101 – This workshop focuses on the transmission, treatment and prevention of HIV/AIDS. – Duration 1-3 hours
- Hepatitis 101 – This workshop focuses on the transmission, treatment and prevention of Hepatitis A, B and C. – Duration 1-3 hours
- Sexually Transmitted Blood Borne Infections – This workshop focuses on the transmission, treatment and prevention. Duration 1-3 hours
- Substance Misuse – This workshop focuses on what the most common substances being used, what effects they have on your body, your family and your community, what happens if you mix different substances and how to recognize if someone has consumed substances. Duration 1-3 hours
- Harm Reduction – This workshop focuses on the
- Healthy Relationships – This workshop focuses on what is a healthy and non-healthy relationship, how to recognize what type of relationship you are in and how to set boundaries to protect yourself from entering an unhealthy relationship. Duration 1-3 hours
- Sex over 50 – This workshop focuses on sexuality for people age 50 and up. Once participants have completed this workshop they will have a better understanding of what is a healthy relationship, personal boundaries and how to set them, sexually transmitted infections and prevention. –Duration 2 hours
- Naloxone Training – In partnership with the Nova Scotia Health Authority – This workshops focuses on the signs of opioid overdose, how Naloxone works, when to use it, and how to effectively respond and administer Naloxone during an opioid overdose. Duration 1 hour
Additional activities available;
- Youth and IPHA (Indigenous person living with HIV and/or Hep C) Peer Mentor Training – Traditional mentoring is great but Peer mentoring – if done the right way – can be a far more effective option. This training focuses on training youth and IPHA’s to become informal peer mentors and community supports. Participants will participate in an online six months, 10 module training that includes topics such as but not limited too; Facilitation skills, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Blood Borne Infections, Substance misuse, Healthy Relationships, Personal Boundaries, Harm Reduction, Self-esteem and Life Skills Development. Once the training is complete the youth will participate in a gathering for the participants who completed the training.
- Elder/Youth Gathering – Once a year we bring together Indigenous youth from Atlantic Canada to participate in cultural activities’ such as; Language lesson, drum making, medicine walk, naming ceremonies and more. There will also be education sessions on HIV, Hepatitis C and other Sexually Transmitted Blood Borne Infections. Watch our Healing Our Nations Facebook page for updates on community events and recruitment.
We also provide;
- Cultural Competence/Cultural Awareness Training – for non-Aboriginal organizations who serve and work with Aboriginal/First Nations People – Once this workshop is complete you will have a better understanding of the culture and traditions of First Nations and Indigenous people in Atlantic Canada. – Duration 2-3 hours or 2 days
- Information booths – HON will set-up an information booth FREE for both Indigenous organizations and communities and non-Indigenous organizations. We have information for all ages on HIV, Hep C and Sexually Transmitted Infections. We always have free condoms, dental dams and female condoms at our booths. If and when we have HON swag available, we will bring that too.
All of the workshops HON offers have a cultural component. HON includes smudging, talking circles, medicine wheel teachings and crafts into the sessions. Not all of the cultural components discussed will take place during each session but there will definitely be at least one per session. Also each session has interactive learning games/activities to replace using a power point the entire presentation. If you prefer PowerPoint we have it available for each workshop.
Healing Our Nations can customize any of the above workshops to fit specific groups needs. Some examples of workshops we have been invited to do include: Aboriginal Women & Self Esteem , Aboriginal Men & HIV, Harm Reduction, HIV and/or Hepatitis C in the Workplace and many more.
Booking workshops with Healing Our Nations is easy. Use our online booking system or contact us at email@example.com or calling at 1-902-492-4255. Our staff will more than willing to determine what program and what workshop is best for you or your group.
Would you like additional information about workshops, APHA, or HIV/AIDS?
Please click to go to our workshop request form and we will contact you shortly.